Related: Install Windows Subsystem for Linux
Dual Boot Systems
You will need to consider the following to successfully upgrade a dual-boot Windows/Linux system to Windows 10.
- set your BIOS/UEFI to boot directly to the Windows drive–especially if you plan to use BitLocker on Windows 10.
- If Windows won’t boot, you may need to repair the boot sector of the Windows HDD. Else you’ll get error 0x800703ed, which occurs if you have a dual boot system where Windows doesn’t directly boot.
- As always, it is best to use a separate drive for Windows–install Linux on another internal drive.
Clean install Windows 10 Anniversary Edition
- backup the PC to an external hard drive or the cloud.
- Download Windows 10 Anniversary Edition ISO image via the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
- use Rufus to write the ISO to USB
- Boot from USB, select Format my existing Windows partition (erasing all files and documents)
- Windows 10 installed in about 20 minutes on a 5 year old laptop.