This Unifi controller Adopt procedure works for Unifi AP-AC v2 as well as Unifi AP AC Pro. For this example we assume:
|Unifi server||New AP|
- Connect the POE of Ubiquiti power supply to Main of the Unifi AP AC Pro, and LAN to your switch, then power up.
- Find the IP address of the new Ubiquiti, assuming there is a DHCP server. Many people assign static IPs (via the DHCP server) to WiFi APs in general for convenience:
nmap 192.168.1.* -p 22 --open
In a few seconds you’ll get a list of devices–one of them will be the new AP AC Pro.
- SSH to the AP. login/password:
- Tell the AP to look for the local Unifi server:
infoand you should have
Status: Not Adopted
- login to Unifi controller
https://192.168.1.2:8443, go to the Devices page and you should see your new AP with status “Pending Adoption”.
- If not, look to Troubleshooting section below.
- Click the new AP and click the little add/adopt button.
- You should see status “adopting” and then a minute or two later “connected” for this new AP.
Consider optimizing your Unifi WiFi coverage & performance via channel, SSID, power best practices.
For problems adopting the new AP, SSH into the AP and type:
See the status message for errors
Unable to resolve (http://unifi:8080/inform)
Try taking out the hostname for this device in your DNS server, especially if other devices on that net can’t resolve it.
Be sure your AP can communicate over TCP 8080 and UDP 3478 with the Unifi controller.