- Download nmap
- Install nmap “self-installer”
.exeand install Npcap when asked by the Nmap installer.
Cygwin: add to
alias nmap="/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Nmap/nmap.exe"
\(are vital for Cygwin shell to interpret the command correctly
- Open a new Cygwin window to start using
Starting Nmap ( https://nmap.org ) Nmap scan report for google-public-dns-a.google.com (22.214.171.124) Host is up (0.0092s latency). Not shown: 998 filtered ports PORT STATE SERVICE 53/tcp open domain 443/tcp open https Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 7.41 seconds
- errors about interface → try running Cygwin as Administrator (right click on Cygwin icon).
- find interface names available to nmap
- to find servers with a particular port open on a subnet, try this Python code that scans for servers without nmap.
- If you don’t install Npcap when asked in the
nmapdoes not work. Nmap claimed no host existed at a known working IP address.
nmap built into Cygwin?
nmap requires deeper access to the Windows networking stack that would go beyond the normal scope of Cygwin.
Note that Nmap itself needs the separate program Npcap (forked from WinPcap) to work on Windows.