Her survey research for her book Next Gen PhD invoked 8,099 usable responses. Dr. Sinche acknowledged that there was the typical online survey self-selection bias along with additional bias toward PhD’s using social media. For example, a 2010 MIT postdoc survey found 60% of postdocs surveyed were international.
- 46 LinkedIn groups targeted toward PhD’s were canvassed
- 42% men, 56% women
- 82% US citizen or permanent resident, 17% international
- 10% underrepresented minorities
- 70% married, 26% single, 2% divorced/separated
- 36% have children
One of the attendees noted there is typically a bias toward more women responding to surveys.
Next Gen PhD survey slides
in support of book Next Gen PhD.
postdoc statistics for Boston University from August 2016
Thanks to Sarah Hokanson, Program Director, Professional Development & Postdoctoral Affairs at Boston University, Chelsea Epler, Program Director of BU BEST and Gloria Waters Vice President and Associate Provost for Research.
- 377 postdocs total
- 151 postdocs in Engineering (40%)