For data acquisition systems with high-priority data collection program, and other programs monitoring the status of the data collection, it’s important to prioritize these simultaneously running programs, even on modern computers with multiple cores.
- main high priority program is running a high-speed high-resolution camera, dumping the data to disk.
- low priority program to read camera status, computing windowed average of N latest image frames.
- low priority intranet-only web-server program to provide image to external-facing webserver
cronstarts the camera at a specific time for a specific length of time.
cronstarts the monitor/server program, where the server is called within
nice -n 19 python preview.py
- run task(s) at priority, where bigger positive numbers are lower priority, and more negative numbers are higher priority.
- Task Scheduler starts the camera at a specific time for a specific length of time.
- Task Scheduler starts the monitor/server program, where the server is called within
start /low python preview.py
- runs a program and its child processes at low priority.