The LG-W280A Watch Sport is an excellent watch, one of the best smartwatches on the market. Both the LG-W200A and LG-W280A Wear smartwatches work well with Ting LTE for $12/month phone + data using MVNO on the T-Mobile network.
The LG-W280A is a worthwhile upgrade from earlier Android Wear watches, including the LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition LTE LG-W200A.
The LG-W280A has these advantages over the LG-W200A. Don’t overlook the possibility of getting an LG-W200A cheap on eBay, see if these differences are worthwhile for you.
- beta OS: Currently, only the W280A has access to the Android Wear Oreo 8 beta
- comfort level: W280A is much more comfortable, with a more pliable, permanently affixed watch band.
- center button crown spin: Very useful, much more discreet checking of notification vs. swiping screen
- ambient light sensor: avoids need to manually ride brightness up and down for indoor dark office/bedroom vs. outdoor brightness needs.
- built-in GPS: you can use Google Maps from your watch with GPS even if your smartphone is dead/left behind.
The LG-W280A is compatible with Ting on LTE bands 2 and 4, while the LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition LTE LG-W200A has only band 2. This means the LG-W280A will tend to have better LTE wireless coverage than the LG-W200A.
|Wear smartwatch||LTE Bands|
|LG-W280A Sport||1, 2, 4, 5|
|LG-W200A Urbane 2nd Edition LTE||2, 5|
Project Fi no-additional-charge for data-only devices means one gets almost-free LTE for the LG-W280A Watch Sport (and W200A) smartwatch.
For those wanting phone + data LTE smartwatch service, consider Ting.
The LG Watch Sport W280A does not have every advantage, but the downsides are minimal.
Unfortunately the wireless charging of the LG Watch Sport takes about 2-3 times longer than the direct wired charging of the Urbane. The LG Watch Sport takes about 2 hours to fully charge from 0% while the Urbane fully charged in less than 45 minutes.
I find the LG-W280A to have slightly longer battery life than the LG-W200A. Despite the smaller battery of the W280A vs. W200A, the W280A has the more efficient Snapdragon 2100 vs. W200A with older Snapdragon 400. In both cases I kept Wifi and LTE on all the time.