This is a summary of public Windows Subsystem for Linux changes for the latest Windows 10 Fast Ring build and recent builds.
Master listing of current build vs. Ring
- 2017-12-19: Build 17063 allows
tarto be used from native Windows. Also enables
AF_UNIXIPC, and adding Linux metadata to native Windows filesystem files.
- 2017-11-22: Build 17046 allows running background (no open terminal) WSL sessions. This enables SSH server on WSL without the need to have a WSL window always open.
wslpathconverts Windows ↔ WSL paths.
- Fall 2017 Creators Update: wrapped up the 16xxx WSL Build series changes, of which there were numerous behind-the-scenes changes not enumerated here. I don’t list minor/non-user-visible changes from Build 16215-17046.
- 2017-06-09: Build 16215 this build retains the Bash bug introduced around 16193 where
.bash_aliasesare partially ignored. I have noted a workaround for this bug using
.bash_profile. Also, WSL no longer requires Developer Mode to install.
- Build 16193 allow WSL following of NTFS symlinks via DrvFS-mount
- 2017-04-28: Build 16184: Minor fixes
- 2017-04-18: Build 16176: Major updates enabling
- USB-serial converters as well as traditional hardware serial COM ports from WSL.
- USB drives (NTFS, FAT, ExFAT–but NOT Ext3/BTRFS etc), CD/DVD, and UNC network shares from WSL.
- 2017-02-02: Build 15025: Numerous IPv6, networking, etc. bugs fixed.
- 2017-01-27: Build 15019: Correct reporting of CPU usage percent.
- 2017-01-19: Build 15014: PARTIAL FIX of Ctrl C not working in Bash. Ctrl C is not totally fixed: WSL Github Issue #1583
- 2017-01-12: Build 15007: FIXED 100% CPU issue, Ctrl C still not working.
- 2017-01-09: Build 15002: BIG BREAKING BUG for WSL: Ctrl C doesn’t work, and 100% CPU usage. You might temporarily switch to Slow Ring if you haven’t already installed Build 15002. Added support for shared memory calls.
- 2016-12-14: Build 14986 Slow Ring:
timer_createbug that impacted Haskell severely.
- 2016-11-17: Build 14971: NO public WSL changes
- 2016-11-09: Build 14965:
ipcommands, enhanced networking in WSL
- 2016-11-03: Build 14959: Improve Pico Process notifications, allowing better interoperability of antivirus products with WSL.
- 2016-10-25: Build 14955: NO public WSL changes.
- 2016-10-19: Build 14951 Two huge improvements:
- Ubuntu 16.04 in WSL
- Launch Windows binaries from WSL (Cygwin can do this too)