Related: Put links to Matlab in desktop menu
This procedure works for Matlab (regular and student) on Ubuntu and similar Linux operating systems.
- Login to Mathworks, downloading the Matlab installer
- extract all files from this downloaded archive, and run (without
/home/username/.local/since it’s tied to your Linux username anyway.
- install Symbolic Links to
/home/username/.local/binwhen asked by the GUI at the end of the install.
- add to
close and reopen Terminal
- (optional) add links in your desktop menu
Matlab can be started from Terminal:
If you want the fastest performance and least memory by disabling the Java graphics system (no visible plots)
matlab -nodesktop -nosplash -nojvm
GUI required for normal install
If installing Matlab remotely over SSH, you must any one of:
Otherwise, you’ll get
Error: Installation cannot proceed. You may either:
- Set an X11 display, and restart the install process
Use the silent install feature by specifying the -mode silent option