Install options for IPython on Windows include:
- Best for most: native Windows Python 3 64-bit install
- Better for some: from Anaconda Python in Windows Subsystem for Linux
- OK if needed: on Cygwin, as described below
IPython is best with Python 3, since IPython for Python 2.7 stopped development two IPython versions ago, and Python 2.7 is abandoned for most new work.
- install prereqs from Windows Command Prompt
setup-x86_64 -P python3-pip python3-zmq python3-ipython
- from Cygwin Terminal:
python3 -m pip install jupyter
- in Cygwin
jupyter notebook --no-browser
- copy the URL printed to your Windows web browser to use Cygwin Jupyter notebook.