The following procedure is for Ubuntu 18.04 and 16.04 among others. Linux Google Earth Pro 7.3 is available at no charge.
- Download Google Earth 7.3 64-bit .deb
Open from Google Earth menu icon, or from Terminal:
which is a softlink under
This also installs a software source in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-earth-pro.list for automatic updates.
As noted in Google Earth 7.3 release notes, the key improvements include
- all Google Earth installs are now “Pro” for free
- high-resolution (Hi DPI) support
- fixed broken networking system (blank links) etc.
- works with new Google Photos layer (that replaced Panoramio)