- No specific target date was given for GNU Radio 3.8
- but work is progressing well ~ 80% of the way to release
- need people to test
GNU Radio series e.g. 3.7 are supported for about 2 years. This means that old and obsolete libraries are required, which can become frustrating as a new release is awaited (as we are for GR 3.8)
GR 3.8 is ripping out 10 lines of code for every 1 line of code replaced. Multi-year old bugs were never found due to sheer size of codebase.
GNU Radio Conference 2016 presentation talk slides
- GR 3.8 is now running on
python3branch, except for GUI elements of GRC. About 20 developers.
- Key GR 3.8 contributors include: Tom Rondeau, Sean Nolan, Andy Walls, Nick Foster, Sebastian Koslowski, Seth Hitefield, Doug Anderson
- 3.7.11 final release of 3.7, will have deprecation notes for 3.8.
- GR 3.7 had ~40 developers.
Big changes for GNU Radio 3.8
- GUI separated from non-GUI code generation
- GRC file format moves from XML to YaML–much easier to read and modify
- C++ changes minimized in 3.8
- heavy use of
sixfor Python 2/3 compatibility
- Python 3 AND Python 2.7 support
makoreplacing obsolete, unmaintained
- removing wxGUI
- GTK2 removed, replaced by QT5, GTK3
future (vision beyond 3.8)
- migration of architecture to heterogenous/distributed, away from single PC run model
- move GRC from being Python script generator to realtime flowgraph development environment
- make connections to DSPs, etc. more like RFNoC–an abstract block.
- move to client/server model, REST-like interface. Parts of flowgraph can reside anywhere in world as appropriate.
- future of GRC: like GDB for flowgraphs. Attach to running system.