- works well on Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora), Mac and Windows.
- is natively compatible with AutoCAD DWG/DXF formats through R2018 (used by AutoCAD 2019).
- works remotely using X11-Forwarding or VNC/RDP.
- is free but not libre
- has been growing and well supported since DraftSight’s initial 2011 release
- on Ubuntu:
apt install gdebi
- Download Draftsight for Linux
- In Terminal:
- Complete registration with email address (maybe a throwaway email address).
If you have a high resolution screen and the GUI icons look too small, try Tools → Options → System Options → Display → Screen Options → Use Large Icons.
Usually DraftSight “just works” on Linux.
DraftSight won’t start
see if the splash screen AND the second window requesting your registration pops up.
The registration window can be hidden under other app windows you have open.
Add DraftSight icon
If the Ubuntu desktop icon doesn’t show up for Draftsight, create
[Desktop Entry] Name=DraftSight Comment=Editing CAD images GenericName=DraftSight Exec="/opt/dassault-systemes/DraftSight/Linux/DraftSight" Path=/opt/dassault-systemes/DraftSight/Linux Type=Application Terminal=false Icon=dassault-systemes.draftsight MimeType=image/vnd.dwg;image/vnd.dwt;image/vnd.dxf;application-vnd.dassault-systemes.draftsight-dwg;application-vnd.dassault-systemes.draftsight-dwt;application-vnd.dassault-systemes.draftsight-dxf Categories=Application;Graphics;2DGraphics;RasterGraphics;