On June 27, 2016 a second, separate luxury space–a new Metropolitan Lounge–opened for Sleeper Class and Business Class passengers on the East side of the Great Hall. This $8 million 13,500 sq. ft. space is divided into five zones with unique modern architecture.
Access to the Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge is complementary for
- Sleeper Class ticketed passengers
- Business class ticketed passengers
- Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus/Select Executive members
Metropolitan Lounge Amenities
- satellite TVs in each room, both floors, with closed captioning
- nice bathrooms
- Priority boarding (as usual with sleeper/business tickets)
- two showers for each gender with heated floors. The Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge showers include washcloths, towels, soap, and shampoo.
History: the original 1925 Chicago Union Station men’s lounge also included showers, but is now an employee locker room and parking garage access.
- fountain dispenser of sparkling, cold, or room temperature water on both floors
- coffee, tea, or hot chocolate
- fountain drinks
- alcoholic beverages at happy hour
- Numerous healthy snacks like pretzels, nuts, fruits
- at meal times, an extra variety of food, more salad-like is put out on the bar
- breath mints
Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge Wifi
- 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
- strong signal, decent speeds
- allows SSH, VPN, YouTube, etc.