On June 27, 2016 a new luxury Chicago Union Station Metropolitan Lounge opened for Sleeper Class and Business Class passengers on the East side of the Great Hall. This $8 million 13,500 sq. ft. space is divided into five zones with unique modern architecture.
Access to the Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge is complementary for:
- Sleeper Class ticketed passengers
- Business class ticketed passengers
- Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus/Select Executive members
Otherwise, a $25 day pass to the Metropolitan Lounge is available, which replaces the former Legacy Club.
- top floor is “quiet floor”
- satellite TVs in each room, both floors, with closed captioning
- nice bathrooms
- Priority boarding (as usual with sleeper/business tickets)
- two showers for each gender with heated floors. The Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge showers include washcloths, towels, soap, and shampoo.
- lots of working desk / counter space with 120 Vac power and USB power.
History: the original 1925 Chicago Union Station men’s lounge also included showers, but is now an employee locker room and parking garage access.
- fountain dispenser of sparkling, cold, or room temperature water on both floors
- coffee, tea, or hot chocolate
- fountain drinks
- alcoholic beverages at happy hour
- Numerous healthy snacks like pretzels, nuts, fruits, oatmeal
- at meal times, an extra variety of food, more salad-like is put out on the bar
- 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
- strong signal, decent speeds
- allows SSH, VPN, YouTube, etc.